Respiratory health supplements help to optimize the all-important system that saturates blood with life-sustaining oxygen. They work to:
Promote clear and easy breathing**
Support normal histamine responses**
Maintain healthy, oxygenated blood**
What is Respiratory Health?
The respiratory system is the body’s source of ventilation. It is closely linked to the cardiovascular system. In the lungs, blood receives oxygen from air and expels carbon dioxide, all in the space of a single breath. Oxygen is then distributed via the circulatory system, nourishing all of the life-sustaining systems in the body. Good respiratory health is vital for healthy living and peak quality of life.**
Respiration can be affected by conditions that diminish bronchial cells’ capacity in the lungs. Asthma is one of the most common conditions that affects the respiratory system, with 235 million sufferers globally according to the World Health Organization. Allergies and reduced air quality in urban areas due to environmental toxins can also cause respiratory issues. Some of these factors lead to inflammation and swelling of the bronchial tubes, which can lead to shortness of breath. This in turn affects the amount of oxygen taken into the body, which can lead to fatigue, reduced productivity and poor sleep quality.**
While many conventional means of treating respiratory health issues are available, there are multiple natural supplements that can help as well. Some of the most popular respiratory health supplements include:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA): ALA is an antioxidant that dissolves in both water and fat and plays a role in cellular energy production. Studies have indicated that it has a positive effect on the bronchial cells, where it modulates inflammatory responses and neutralizes free radicals. Due to its ability to penetrate water and fat, this “Universal Antioxidant” has positive effects in the lungs and throughout the entire body.**
- Quercetin: One of the most common flavonoids, quercetin is commonly found in apples and tea and has an array of health benefits. As an antioxidant, it combats long-term damage to lung tissues while modulating inflammation. Most notably, it is considered a botanical anti-histamine that may help to promote clear and easy breathing.**
- Bromelain: Found in pineapple, particularly the stem, bromelain modulates inflammation in the respiratory system. This activity appears to be pronounced in the mucous membranes that cause congestion when inflamed.**
- Forskohlii: This traditional Indian herb has long been used to treat respiratory issues such as asthma. Research isolated forskohlin from the herb in the 1970s and discovered that it increased the amount of cAMP in the body, a substance that regulates human cells and modulates the lung inflammation that can interfere with healthy respiration.**
- Stinging Nettle: An traditional herb for asthma, allergies, and other issues, stinging nettle has been used for centuries due to its inflammation-modulating and antihistamine effects. It has been used for both respiratory issues and allergic concerns.
Magnolia Bark Extract: Used in traditional Asian medicine for respiratory, cardiovascular, and even neurological issues, studies have suggested that magnolia bark extract contains inflammation-modulating properties and antioxidant activity that combats oxidative stress both in the lungs and throughout the body.**
Respiratory Health Supplements
Respiratory supplements originate from various natural sources. Capsules and softgels are among the most common forms of these supplements.
Respiratory Health Supplements Directions for Use
Always consult your health care provider before beginning any supplement regimen. There is no recommended dosage for these supplements.**